My last and worst day of pregnancy

I spent the first three days of spring break trying to finish up things for school.  I didn’t even have time to get to my grading. I was solely working on my sub plans.  And it wasn’t for a lack of trying to get them done earlier.  I think I just try too hard to be too specific when I’m leaving plans for other people.

On Monday I had a doctor’s appointment.  I drove from the school to my doctor’s office, and Will met me there.  We basically discussed the C-section with my doctor.  She didn’t even check me to see if I had any signs of going into labor soon, since the babies would be coming out in less than 48 hours anyway. I left the appointment feeling tired, but ok.  We went home, ate dinner, and then Will drove me to the school so that I could finish up my sub plans.  I had thought it would take me another couple of hours, max.

Six hours later, around midnight, we finally left my classroom.  I would have liked to do more, but we had to declare “Good enough!” I figured I had Tuesday to work on grading and hopefully post my grades.

Early Tuesday morning, around 4 a.m., I woke up not feeling very well. My whole body ached. Within an hour of being up, I also started experiencing horrible back pain. I’ve lamented all along that I would have been really good at being pregnant with just one baby.  However, if my last day of pregnancy was a taste of what labor would have been like, I would not have been good at being in labor.  I still don’t know if what I was experiencing was the start of labor, but it was easily the most miserable I have EVER been.  And it quickly became apparent that I would not be getting any grading done that day.

I took three showers that morning because the hot water seemed to help the pain somewhat. Will went with me on a very slow, very pained, walk around our block, because I was hoping that moving around would ease some of the pain. Unfortunately that didn’t help either.  My parents flew in Tuesday afternoon, and Will and I had been planning on picking them up from the airport. I soon realized that I wouldn’t be able to tolerate sitting in a car for two hours, so Will went without me.

After Will left, I lay down in the bed to try and sleep some more, but as soon as I did, Baby B (Imogen) started kicking me so hard that I couldn’t stand it.  At that point, I called labor and delivery to see if anyone there could tell me if I was in fact experiencing labor. The nurse I spoke with, though, was not very helpful. I explained that I was 37.5 weeks pregnant with twins, and then I described my symptoms: contractions and terrible back pain. The nurse told me, very uncompassionately, “You’re back hurts because you’re pregnant with twins.” Apparently the fact that it hadn’t hurt at all the day before wasn’t relevant.  She told me I could come in and they would be able to determine if I was actually having contractions or not, but if I wasn’t actually in active labor, they wouldn’t be able to do anything for me.  Then she very unhelpfully asked if I had tried taking a bath.

I hung up the phone, and in a last effort to find some pain relief, I got into one of the positions we’d practiced in my birthing class that is supposed to help with back labor. I sat on the bed on my knees, then leaned forward onto pillows.  This did help somewhat, and I was able to sleep for about 40 minutes, until Will got home with my parents.

When I woke up, I felt considerably better.  I was able to eat some dinner and to sit upright on the couch for awhile.  Soon the back pain returned, though, and I kept having to get into the position on my knees. After sitting like that for about 30 minutes, I was able to sit upright again for a little while before the pain would pick up.  Unfortunately, the pain got worse, and eventually the only time I experienced pain relief was when I was actually in the position on bent knees.  I spent that night downstairs on our couch, sleeping only about 30 minutes at a time. When I woke up I would go to the bathroom, then heat up my wheat bag in the microwave because heat helped to ease some of the pain.  Then I would get back into position and after 5 or 10 minutes of squirming uncomfortably, I would finally fall asleep again for another 30 minutes.  This was easily the worst night I’ve ever gone through. Worse than any illness or previous pain I have experienced.  I was so happy when I woke up at 3:00 a.m. and didn’t have to try to go back to sleep.  We had to be at the hospital by 5:15 to prep for my C-section.


About Twins Happen

My husband and I learned that we were having twins in October of 2010. I started this blog so that family and friends could follow my pregnancy and the development of our children. I'm continuing to post about my girls, parenting, and trying to balance work, family time, and fitness.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to My last and worst day of pregnancy

  1. katiebug says:

    that sounds like labor to me. the midwife in the OB practice i saw told me that if the pain wouldn’t get better if you drank water and changed position, and if it intensified over time, it was probably contractions.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s