The Birth Story

I was disappointed that Baby A never turned head down, so I didn’t have the option to try to deliver vaginally. Before I knew I was pregnant with twins, the thought of a Cesarian Section never even crossed my mind. Ultimately I’m just glad that the babies were born without any problems, and that I’ve been able to recover fairly quickly.  The morning of the procedure, however, I was very nervous about it.

I woke up a little after 3 a.m. At that point I was still experiencing some back pain, but it wasn’t nearly as strong as it had been throughout the night.  Will got up with me, and we showered and got ready to leave for the hospital. We took some final pictures of the belly, and you’ll have to excuse how tired I look:

We checked in at Labor and Delivery and then were taken to the operating room prep area. They had me weigh in one last time, and I had gained about 38 pounds from the beginning of my pregnancy to the end. Then I did a lot of waiting while various hospital staff came in and performed their specific task. I was hooked up to fetal monitors and then to an IV. My doctor came in and did one final check to make sure that Baby A was still breech, which she was.  Then the anesthesiologist came in and explained how she would administer the spinal, which is like an epidural, only stronger.  The hardest part was having to bend over and round out my back.  At that point my giant belly didn’t have anywhere to go, which made bending down very difficult. After practicing that and then some more waiting, they finally wheeled me into the actual operating room.

In the operating room, they had me sit up on the table and bend over so that they could numb my back and insert the spinal.  I was really nervous about my lower half feeling so numb, but once the actual spinal was inserted, the pain relief it brought to my back and stomach was so nice that I no longer cared. It was so subtle that I hadn’t really realized it, but the stretching of my growing belly was painful, and once the spinal kicked in, which was almost instantly, it finally didn’t hurt anymore.

They helped me to lay down on my back, and then Will came into the room. He was able to stand next to me the whole time, which was really nice. He asked how I was doing, and I told him, this is the first time I’ve been able to lie on my back and not feel pain in months.  The procedure went really quickly after that, and at 8:06 and 8:07, our babies were born.

On the way to the hospital, I had told Will not to be surprised or worried if our babies had low apgar scores because that is common with c-section babies.  Very fortunately, our babies came out and cried right away. They also peed and pooped immediately. I didn’t know it at the time, but I found out later that they were given 9s on their apgar scores.  So I guess I didn’t have to worry about it.

They brought the babies over to me for just a minute and let Will take some pictures.  Then someone in the room took a picture with all of us:

I’m not sure which baby is which in the photo, but I can remember the moment. We had been waiting for these babies for so long, and they were finally here. It was just amazing.

Shortly after that, Will went with the babies so they could be cleaned. They brought me out to the recovery room.  At that point, all I wanted to do was sleep, but the attending nurse had to keep asking me questions to see how I was doing. Apparently my body temperature dropped below normal. They ended up bringing me a blanket that blows out warm air to get me back up to a normal temperature.  Typically patients spend about an hour in recovery, I spent about two. 

At one point Will joined me with the babies.  Their “cribs” are these strange clear plastic tubs on top of a wooden cart.  I’m not sure if Will was able to wheel both in by himself, or if he had help. I’ll have to ask him.  But they all stayed with me while I was in recovery.

When my temperature was back up, they wheeled me upstairs to my room. I don’t remember what happened immediately after that, but it wasn’t long before my parents and Will’s parents and sister were there to see the babies and me, and to learn their names.


About Twins Happen

My husband and I learned that we were having twins in October of 2010. I started this blog so that family and friends could follow my pregnancy and the development of our children. I'm continuing to post about my girls, parenting, and trying to balance work, family time, and fitness.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s